The temptation to shop and spend money can sometimes be irresistible. New trends, colors and styles come out, and suddenly, you want all of it. The problem with actually buying all of it is that you probably can’t afford it. But don’t worry, there are ways that you can still rock a great outfit with shelling out too much cash.
These 6 tips will help you spend less and wear more.
1. Don’t Shop at the Mall. It’s likely that you won’t go to the mall and stick to one store. The fact that everything is within a few steps of each other makes the mall very dangerous when it comes to overspending. You walk by a few stores, and suddenly you have to go in to every single one of them. You also have to remember that the mall isn’t exactly known for low prices or big sales.
2. Be Okay with Window Shopping. If you are a diehard fashion addict, the need to browse and peruse is totally understandable. Go ahead and get your inspiration at the stores, but be fine with not taking anything home. Setting your mind ahead of time will make it a lot easier to stick to. Often times, going shopping is a social event, and that’s perfectly alright. The way I use window shopping to my advantage when I’m out as a group, is by finding a place that offers a great view, like a boardwalk shopping center. This could also serve as a fabulous excuse to why you’re not buying anything – you don’t want to weigh yourself down with bags while you’re out enjoying yourself
3. Don’t Shop for Entertainment. Do not under any circumstances shop just for the sake of doing it. Even if you are absolutely bored out of your mind, don’t turn to shopping when in need for a pick-me-up or entertainment. This will become a vicious cycle that’s even harder to break than over-shopping.
4. Trade Clothes at Thrift Shops. Thrift stores are an amazing opportunity to get rid of old clothes while collecting new ones at the lowest prices. Don’t be so caught up in brand names and big trends that you claim to never find anything stylish in a thrift shop. I’ve almost always managed to find something fabulous at a bargain, and so can
5. Shop out of Season. Shopping out of season is a great way to score killer styles for extremely low prices. Don’t go shopping for swimsuits right before the summer hits, because those prices are not worth it. Wait until the end of the summer or do your shopping in the fall. You will get great finds for an even better bargain.
6. Care for your Clothes. If you love your clothes, prove it by taking care of them. Be gentle with your fabrics and don’t neglect them in the laundry for days. Avoid the dryer whenever you can. Air drying them will not only prevent wear and tear, but will also reduce your electricity bill. Read the tags and take care of each item as if it were your favorite. Your clothes will be in better shape so you won’t ever find yourself running out to replace an outfit that has a hole or stain.
Knowing how to shop, when to shop, and the right ways to take care of your clothes makes all the difference in your budget. Don’t give in to the temptation, and you’ll be a much happier (and wealthier) person.